Kampala – Uganda on Monday reported 60 new confirmed coronavirus cases following testing of samples carried out on Sunday, August 16, which pushed its nationwide cumulative total to 1,560 cases.
“Of the sixty new cases; twenty are alerts, fourteen are contacts to previously confirmed cases, fourteen are returnees and four are truck drivers,” a statement from the Ministry of Health said.
“Regarding the; fifteen are from Kampala, five from Namisindwa, two from Luwero and six from Moroto, Arua, Gulu, Pader, Katakwi and Kasese,” the statement added.
The ministry also reported that seven cases to previously confirmed contacts are from Kasese, four from Kampala, while three were from Arua, Masaka and Kikuube.
According to the ministry statement, out of the fourteen cases from returnees; nine were from Saudi Arabia, two from Kenya and three from Germany, Oman and Ethiopia.
Of the four truck drivers; two arrived from South Sudan via Madi Opei while two arrived from DRC via Lia and Mpondwe points of entry respectively.
Relatedly, twenty-one foreign truck drivers (11 Kenyans, 7 Congolese, 2 Eritrean and 1 Tanzanian) who tested positive for COVID-19 at the border points of entry were denied entry into Uganda.
Uganda’s death toll also rose to fifteen after two more patients succumbed to the respiratory disease.
“The two fatalities are both Ugandan males aged 63 and 33 years old. They were admitted at Rubaga Hospital with signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19,” the ministry said.
Out of Uganda’s 1,560 cumulative COVID-19 cases, 1,165 have since been discharged from different hospitals across the country after they recovered.