KIGALI – Rwanda on Thursday denied Burundi’s accusation of attacking one of the latter’s military positions earlier this month.
“The Burundi government has the habit of accusing Rwanda to be responsible for anything that’s going wrong in their country. The current accusations, as usual, are not supported by any evidence,” Rwandan Foreign Minister Vincent Biruta is quoted to have said.
Burundi government spokesperson Prosper Ntahorwamiye told reporters on Thursday in Bujumbura, that the Rwandan army launched an overnight assault against a military post on Nov. 16 at Mount Twinyoni, in northwestern Burundi’s Cibitoke province.
“Burundi avails itself of this opportunity to warn Rwanda against these repetitive and multifaceted attacks against Burundi and wants the international community to take note,” Ntahorwamiye said.
Ntahorwamiye said Burundi would “use legitimate defense” if its northern neighbor continues the hostility.
However, the Rwandan Foreign Minister Vincent Biruta is quoted to have said that Burundi doesn’t need to announce putting in place mechanisms to protect its people, as protecting its people is the responsibility of any government.
Even though the Burundian authorities haven’t given official confirmation about the number of casualties at the attack, some media outlets have reported at least eight Burundian soldiers were killed.
Africa Tembelea understands that Burundi has reported past incidents of ‘aggression’ to the United Nations, the African Union and the East African Community but none of the international organizations responded or censured Rwanda for the alleged actions.