State Minister for Labour, Mwesigwa Rukutana, has Tuesday morning been remanded to Kitalya prison until September 15, 2020 pending completion of investigations into last week’s skirmishes in Rushenyi, Ntungamo district.
Rukutana today appeared at Ntungamo Magistrates Court where his lawyers led by Owen Murangira applied for his bail.
The lawyers presented Businessman Bob Kabonero, Igara East County MP Michael Mawanda and former Information Minister Maj General Jim Muhwezi as sureties for Rukutana. However, the state pleaded for more time to help complete investigations into the Rushenyi incident.
Rukutana was first remanded on Monday after being charged with seven counts of attempted murder, assault causing bodily harm, malicious damage and threatening violence.
Prosecution alleges that the Minister who is also the Rushenyi County Member of Parliament, on September 5, 2020 at Kagugu village in Ntungamo district, unlawfully attempted to cause the death of a one Daniel Rweburungi who is now nursing head injuries at Mbarara Referral hospital.
The prosecution also claims that the Minister damaged the victim’s car registration number UAR 840X and verbally threatened to kill him.
In a statement on Monday, Ugandan President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni disclosed that Rukutuna will be prosecuted for the offences he committed.
“The cheating in the NRM Primaries is over. Those who beat people like in Bukono are all in jail or on the run. Minister Rukutana is in jail. They will be fully accountable with robust charges: assault, attempted murder, murder etc,” President Museveni said.
Rukutana was arrested last Saturday by Police in Ntungamo alongside three of his body guards; Police Constable (PC) No. 46613 Pual Agec, No. 62477 PC Faizo Kazoola, RA 215020L/CPL John Bosco Okello, and his driver Napoleon Nuwamanya. The arrest follows a shooting incident in Ruhama, Ntungamo district in which one person was seriously injured and a motor vehicle damaged during the NRM primaries a day before.
“The victim was rushed to hospital in critical condition while the suspects are in detention on charges of inciting violence, attempted murder by shooting and malicious damage,” Polly Namaye, the Deputy Police Spokesperson said.
The Minister, however says that he never released bullets on to the victim as earlier reported by some media outlets. Africa Tembelea understands that the said victim Mr Rwiburingi has also confirmed that he was hit with another object in the head and not a bullet.