President Museveni likely to relax curfew, as Covid-19 cases rise to 774

0
487
President Yoweri Museveni
By :
Baluku Geoffrey

KAMPALA – President Yoweri Museveni will today address the nation on the country’s fight against COVID-19 and outline governments next steps after expiry of the set deadlines for different lockdown measures.

In a post on twitter, Don Wanyama, the Senior Presidential Press Secretary confirmed the Head of State’s address today, June 22, 2020.

“Today, at 8pm, President Museveni will address the country, giving an update on the fight against COVID-19 so far and related issues. Tune into your TV or radio and listen. Thanks,” Don Wanyama tweeted.

With duration of the dusk-to-dawn-curfew and restrictions on movements to and from border districts having expired on June 21, 2020, the Police Spokesperson Fred Enanga says curfew remains until the head of state says otherwise.

According to Enanga, curfew was put in place through a Statutory Instrument and that as police, they will continue implementing the regulations until a contrary order is received.

And with the number of new infections reducing, Africa Tembelea understands that the curfew times are likely to change and run from 9pm to 5am instead of 7pm to 6:30am. Other expected phased re opening measures include easing restrictions on movements to and from border districts with set guidelines as well as advice on stimulus package to revive the economy.

The President’s address comes a few hours after Uganda’s health ministry on Monday confirmed registering 4 new cases of COVID-19, that have pushed the the total number of infections in the country to 774.

According to the ministry of health, all four new cases are Ugandans who were among 2,224 samples tested from trck drivers and community on Sunday, June 21.

Of the 1,600 samples collected from truck drivers, two (2) have tested positive for the virus, Dr. Henry Mwebesa, Director General Health Services said in a statement, adding that 1 of the new cases was from Elegu and 1 from Malaba point of entry.

Dr. Mwebesa also said that, of the 624 samples from contacts and alerts, 2 tested positive. The two include one (1) from Amuru district who was under quarantine at the time of the test while the other is from Kyotera district.

The Director General Health Services also revealed that, 14 foreign truck drivers who tested positive for COVID-19 at Uganda’s points of entry were handed over to their countries of origin. These included 9 Kenyans, 3 Tanzanians, 1 Burundian and 1 Rwandese.

Currently, there are 256 active COVID-19 cases in Uganda out of whom 143 are Ugandans while 113 are foreigners.

Africa Tembelea has also learnt that a total of 631 patients have been discharged after they recovered from COVID-19, and to-date Uganda has not registered any COVID-19 related death.

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here