Premier League: KCCA, Tooro Utd win as Onduparaka held

Muzamiru Mutyaba scores twice as table-toppers KCCA sweep aside Police in their first game of the year. Tooro United beat Ndejje University while Onduparaka slip against Mbarara City.

KAMPALA – Uganda Premier League leaders KCCA FC cemented their stay at the summit by scoring five times in the first half against Police FC on Friday to produce yet another comprehensive victory this season.

Although Mike Mutebi’s side scored only once after the interval to make it six, the visitors’ late rally of two second-half goals came a little too late.

Police had pulled one back right before half time to pause the action with the scoreline reading 5-1. But with their third goal coming eight minutes before time after an improved performance in the second half, time was not their best ally against a ruthless KCCA side, who marched on to a routine victory.

Elsewhere, at Buhinga Stadium, Tooro United built onto their draw against Vipers SC six days ago by registering a slender 1-0 win over Ndejje University, thanks to Allan Kayiwa’s first half strike.

But the same could not be said of third-placed Onduparaka FC. Exactly a week after being beaten by URA SC, the Arua-based side were held to a goalless draw by nine-man Mbarara City at Greenlight Stadium.

The visitors had two of their players – Kareem Ndugwa and Ali Kimera – redcarded in the second half, but Onduparaka failed to make the most of their numerical advantage.

Red-hot KCCA ruthless again

The manner in which 12-time league champions KCCA have obliterated opposition sides this season has been, at best, ruthless. And they were unforgiving again, this time against Police at Lugogo, on their first assignment of this year.

They peppered the opposition net with early goals in a one-sided opening stanza. Man-of-the-match Julius Poloto curled home the opener 15 minutes into the game, before Muzamiru Mutyaba improved KCCA’s lead in the 20th minute.

Barely three minutes later, Mike Mutyaba piled more misery on Police with the hosts’ third goal, before Jackson Nunda added another in the 32nd minute. Four minutes before the break, Muzamiru Mutyaba completed his brace before Balunya Juma pulled one back for the visitors in a six-goal first-half thriller.

After the break, Police gave a shot at a comeback with their second goal to narrow KCCA’s lead. But substitute Patrick Kaddu made it six for the Kasasiro Boys 18 minutes before time.

Derrick Kakooza halved the visiting side’s deficit in the 82nd minute, but it was too late for the visitors to deal with the Herculean task before them.

KCCA have opened the gap at the top to eight points, but second-placed Vipers SC, who are the defending champions, can close in on them with an away win on Saturday against Bright Stars FC.

Note that as of today, the Venoms have played three games fewer than KCCA.

Onduparaka remain in third place ahead of Mbarara City. Fifth-placed URA visit Jinja SS on Saturday.

The first league games of 2019 were played on Thursday – and neither had a winner. Maroons FC drew 1-1 with visiting Express FC while the Nyamityobora FC v Paidha Black Angels match ended goalless.


Facebook Comments


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here