Thierry Henry has been appointed by AS Monaco as the Ligue 1 club’s new head coach, replacing Leonardo Jardim.
The 41-year-old has committed to take charge of the club where he began his professional playing career until 2021.
Henry will take his first steps into management starting Monday, AS Monaco said in a statement.
The Frenchman who started his career at Monaco, went on to greater heights, joining Juventus, then the Gunners and then Barcelona, but he spent six years with the Principality club and is delighted to be making a return.
“I was fortunate to receive some very attractive offers over the last few months but Monaco will always be close to my heart.
“Having started my football career with this great club, it seems like fate that I will now begin my managerial career here too.
“I am very happy to come back to AS Monaco and extremely determined to meet the challenges ahead. I cannot wait to meet the players to start working together” he said.
Henry had worked alongside former Everton boss Roberto Martinez in the Belgium set-up, and helped the side to a third-placed finish at the World Cup in Russia.
Vadim Vasilyev, Monaco’s vice president, has already waxed lyrical about the appointment, made after the sacking of Leonardo Jardim earlier this week.
“His knowledge of football, his passion for the game, his high standards and his commitment to our colours make his nomination a reality,” he said.
Henry’s task is a difficult one as he is charged with turning around the form of a side which have picked up only six points from nine Ligue 1 matches this season.
While it’s true that Monaco won the French title a mere 17 months ago, a mass of sales including Thomas Lemar, Fabinho, Kylian Mbappe, Bernardo Silva and Tiemoue Bakayoko has drastically reduced the quality of the squad.
Currently 18th in Ligue 1, Monaco return to action on October 20 with a trip to Strasbourg.