Kenya extends curfew by 21 days as COVID-19 cases rise to 343

0
446
President Uhuru Kenyatta at State House, Nairobi, Saturday, 25th April 2020. /PSCU
By :
Baluku Geoffrey

Kenya has confirmed seven new COVID-19 cases over the last 24 hours bringing the total national tally to 343 cases.

While issuing the COVID-19 update on Saturday, April 25, President Uhuru Kenyatta informed the nation, of the steps his government had to prevent the projected 10,000 cases by end of April.

“At the beginning of the pandemic our medical experts had estimated that if we had not taken action they had projected that 10,000 people would have been infected by the end of April,” Uhuru said.

“However, due to determined mitigating measures, both by the national and county governments we are now only at 343 confirmed cases,” he added.

He also revealed that three more COVID-19 patients had been discharged bringing the total number of recoveries to 98.

As of today, the number of people who have succumbed to the pandemic in Kenya, stands at 14 with no new deaths confirmed.

“While we mourn the 14 that have succumbed to coronavirus disease, we also celebrate the 98 recoveries,” Uhuru said.

The head of state commended the effort by the Ministry of Health and members of the public in curbing the spread of the virus, however, he noted a worrying trend in the rise of cases.

He called upon Kenyans to step up and aid in the fight against the virus, by fully heading to the directives given.

“Our victory will come from collective efforts to fight this virus; individuals and institutions,” Uhuru said.

He then moved to extend the national curfew and cessation of movement order by 21 more days.

“In accordance to the advice given to me by the National Emergency Response Committee on the Coronavirus, the National Security Council has sanctioned that the cessation of movement to and out of the Nairobi Metropolitan area and counties of Kilifi, Kwale, Mandera and Mombasa that are currently in force shall be extended for a further containment period of 21 days,” he declared.

Mr. Kenyatta reiterated his earlier position regarding the national curfew, but was quick to add that his government would not delay in deescalating the enacted safety measures, the moment health experts report decreasing cases of infections.

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here