Idris Elba tests positive for coronavirus: ‘this is serious’

1
566
By :
Baluku Geoffrey

Actor Idris Elba is the latest celebrity to test positive for the coronavirus.

“This morning I tested positive for Covid 19,” Elba tweeted Monday afternoon but said that he so far had no symptoms and has been isolated since Friday when he found out about his exposure.

“It sucks,” the 47-year-old British actor said in a clip.

“Listen, I’m doing okay,” Elba said, before telling fans “this is serious.”

“Now’s the time to really think about social distancing, washing your hands,” he continued. “There are people out there who aren’t showing symptoms and that can easily spread it.

“Transparency is probably the best thing for this right now.”

Elba encouraged anyone who felt ill to hunker down and get a test if possible, while also voicing solidarity with others who have the virus that’s left at least 182,274 people infected, with 7,140 deaths worldwide.

The Wire star also extended condolences to those who’ve lost close ones or who have lost their economic livelihoods as businesses across the globe shut down.

“We live in a divided world right now, we can all feel it,” Elba said. “But now’s the time for solidarity. Now’s the time for thinking about each other.”

Elba is not the first high-profile star to be diagnosed with the virus. Hollywood actor Tom Hanks and his wife Rita Wilson announced last week they had tested positive while in Australia on pre-production for an Elvis Presley biopic he will star in. Hanks said he and Wilson, both 63, will remain in isolation.

Facebook Comments

1 COMMENT

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here