Nairobi — Health Cabinet Secretary (CS) Mutahi Kagwe has announced 11 more people have tested positive for coronavirus pushing the county’s tally to 281.
Speaking during the health ministry’s daily update on Monday, April 20, CS Kagwe said that, “In the last 24 hours Eleven (11) persons have tested positive for Coronavirus disease, bringing to 281 the total number of confirmed cases in the country. Seven (7) are Kenyans from Bondeni Old Town in Mombasa County and four are (4) foreign nationals from Ruaka, Nairobi.”
“None have a recent history of travel. Five (5) are females and six (6) males. Seven (7) are from our quarantine centers and four (4) were picked up by our surveillance teams from various parts of the country. They are aged between 11 and 80 years,” he added.
He also confirmed that two more patients, one of them a doctor, had recovered from the virus raising the number of recoveries in the country to 69.
“One of them is a doctor. We had two doctors who tested positive. We now have one doctor still undergoing treatment,” he said.
With the risk of more medics contracting the virus, CS Kagwe said a new treatment centre had been launched and would be used in the treatment of clinicians incase they get infected.
Africa Tembelea understands that the new section was set up following a partnership between the government, Amref and the Rockefeller Foundation.
According to Kagwe, every county would in the next two weeks get a testing centre. This follows efforts by the Health Ministry to ramp up its testing capacity.