Nairobi – Kenya registered a spike in the number of confirmed coronavirus cases on Wednesday, increasing to 81 positive cases.
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe made the announcement and noted that COVID-19 is spreading very first in the community.
“Today we have 22 new cases. Let us quarantine ourselves and stay home to protect each other,” said CS Mutahi.
The Cabinet Secretary said that, among the 22 new cases were 18 Kenyans, two Pakistanis and two Cameroon nationals.
“13 of the cases are males and 9 are females,” he said.
• Coronavirus: Kenya COVID-19 cases rise to 59
CS Kagwe said that government was taking protective steps to ensure each and every Kenyan is safe.
“We are working to address the global shortage of PPEs by having them manufactured locally. Already KIKOTEC in Kitui has been approved to manufacture facemasks and has began manufacturing process,” said Mutahi.
“We will ensure all healthcare workers who are in direct contact with COVID-19 patients have the highest most protective gear,” he added.
Mr Kagwe appealed to all Kenyans to Keep physical distance as it was paramount in ensuring the country, “Komesha Corona” with overall behavior change during this pandemic times.
Africa Tembelea has also learnt that earlier in the day, Ivy Brenda Cherotich and Brian Orinda who have been receiving treatment for corona virus disease at Kenyatta National Hospital isolation ward were discharged after being declared free of the disease.
“The recovery of Cherono and Brian should be a testimony that Kenyans must now understand that contracting the disease is not a license to death,” noted Mutahi Kagwe.
The duo visited Afya house shortly after their discharge and were in very high spirit. They called on Kenyans to comply with the government directions to enable the country fight the disease and to avoid stigmatization.
The two later held a virtual meeting with President Uhuru Kenyatta.