Coronavirus cases in Uganda rise to 61 after revised tally

0
637
Dr Henry Mwebesa /File Photo
By :
Baluku Geoffrey

Related
CNN’s Richard Quest Tests Positive for Coronavirus
Makerere University hospital to start coronavirus testing
KIZZA BESIGYE: To Save Lives, Uganda needs to restructure its COVID19 Response

Kampala – Uganda’s COVID-19 cases have risen to 61 after the total number was revised upwards.

In a statement on Wednesday, April 22, 2020, the Director Health Services, Dr. Henry Mwebesa said that Uganda’s coronavirus cases had been revised upwards as a result of the WHO International Health Regulations (IHR) that require every case be counted and treated in a country where it was tested and confirmed.

“Against this background, Uganda had to add the five (5) positive foreign truck drivers to her statistics (i.e the Tanzanian and 4 Kenyans). These include the 2 cases who had earlier gone back to their respective home countries (Kenya and Tanzania),” a statement from Dr Mwebesa read in part.

The new tally is in addition to the new positive case from 658 samples tested from truck drivers at border points of entry yesterday, April 21. The other 368 samples taken from the community and quarantine centers all tested negative for COVID-19.

According to Dr. Mwebesa, the new confirmed case is a 32-year-old Kenyan truck driver who arrived at Malaba border post from Kenya. He did not have any signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19, but was tested as part of the standard procedure for all cargo transporters entering Uganda.

Africa Tembelea understands that arrangements to evacuate him to Entebbe Hospital for treatment are underway.

To date, Uganda has not registered any COVID-19 related death. Out of the cumulative total of 61 recorded cases, 38 recovered and were discharged.

In the same vein, the Ministry of Health has acknowledged social media posts where it was reported that bodies of 2 deceased Ugandans that arrived from Dubai, UAE and Doha in Qatar had been intercepted at Entebbe International Airport.

According to Dr. Mwebesa, the body that arrived on Saturday, April 18th, 2020 from Dubai, UAE was of an individual whose cause of death was an accident. He said that this body was buried safely.

However, in regard to the body that arrived on Sunday, April 19th, 2020, from Doha in Qatar, the health ministry reported that this individual’s cause of death was due to an Acute Respiratory Syndrome.

The health ministry reports that on learning of the incident, they, alongside Uganda Red Cross teams took over the burial ceremonies from A-Plus and accorded the deceased a safe and dignified burial in Kayunga district.

Africa Tembelea has also learnt that the burial was directly supervised by a Commissioner from the health ministry, who thereafter had to arrange a 14-day institutional quarantine for the six A-Plus staff and 2 relatives who had received the body at Entebbe before the health ministry’s intervention.

As of Wednesday, April 22, some 2,552,491 cases of the infection had been recorded globally out of which 177,234 people had succumbed while some 688,430 had recovered.

Facebook Comments

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here